Friday 1 June 2012

International Tartan Day

Scotland intrigues me. I've not yet been there, but I'm pretty sure it will one day happen.

My gt gt grandmother, Mary Ann Hughes, lived (or was born) in Roxburgh in 1835, according to her death certificate. Her family, however, came from Ireland.

Long story short, Mary Ann emmigrated to Australia in 1860 & married a man from St John's, Newfoundland, James Power.
The rest is history

"Tartan" is a generic term referring to the multicolored checked and striped cloth that has become one of the best-known symbols of Scotland. When speaking of a "Clan tartan" what is typically meant is the "sett" of that tartan. A sett is a unique tartan "pattern" of color blocks and lines. A Clan may have one or more setts for itself, some differentiated as "dress" or "hunting", usually indicating when it should be worn (such as for formal dress or evening affairs, or for daywear occasions, and so forth), and some setts for sub-groups or families within a Clan. Tartans generally identify a region, a clan, or an organization or company. Thus, if you encounter someone wearing the tartan of the Clan Grant, you can be reasonably assured that the person wearing that tartan belongs to the Clan Grant or identifies with the organization.


3 comments:

Alberta said...

and I would love to step out wearing the Johnston tartan!!!

Maureen said...

As a Scot I would have to admit I haven't a clue what tartan is what..the most important choice is making sure it doesn't clash with our outfits lol!

Felicity said...

LOL. I'm like you, Maureen. I'm certainly not the expert on Tartans when my only experience comes from watching 'Duncan McLeod of the Clan McLeod' from the Highhlander, the Series, back in the late 1990s.