Saturday 6 September 2008

Fathers Day 2008

Father's Day is a celebration inaugurated in the early twentieth century to complement Mother's Day in celebrating fatherhood and male parenting, and to honour and commemorate fathers and forefathers. Father's Day is celebrated on a variety of dates worldwide and typically involves gift-giving, and special dinners to fathers and family-oriented activities.

Sadly, my own dad died in 2002, so I have no father to spoil today. Fortunately, my kids do a wonderful job for their own father. This year they bought him a computer so that he can get online and be in more regular contact (not that I'm sure that that is going to work).

I'm one of the lucky ones. I had three lovely men who were male role models in my early life: a fabulous, slightly eccentric (some would say 'very eccentric') father and two lovely grandfathers.

Today, I'm cooking The MOTH a special dinner for his day. Paul's both a wonderful son and a wonderful father. He took Friday off and travelled the 600km south to spend Thursday evening, Friday and part of Saturday with his own elderly dad. He's disappointed that his boys have let the day slip under the radar again.

No comments: