Friday 25 May 2007

State of Origin



Maroons take game one

Event
State of Origin 1 - QLD v NSW

When
8pm, Wednesday 23 May 2007

Where
Suncorp Stadium, Milton Road, Milton in Brisbane, Queensland

Details
The first match between Queensland and New South Wales in the State of Origin, rugby league competition.


Queensland produced one of the great Origin comebacks with a stirring 25-18 victory over New South Wales at a deafening Suncorp Stadium after trailing 18-6 at half time. My oh my!

I don't watch this annual series of games because, to tell the truth, I don't like Rugby League at all. However, as it's State of Origin & I was the only New South Wales (Blues) supporter in my family until I married Paul, I've always had a friendly bet with William, my ex-husband, & our kids.

Despite the fact that NSW has never had more series wins than Queensland at anytime in Origin history, it has been a profitable exercise overall. One year, Will was so certain that Queensland would win that he turned off the television 10 minutes before the end of the game. I bet him $10,000AU they'd lose to NSW & he confidently agreed. NSW won so I made him pay up. LOL. We took a fabulous 10 day vacation to Hong Kong, Macau & China. I bought an emerald & diamond dress ring as a memento of the game - & something about which to tell a good story.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, the Blues lost Wednesday night's match & I have to pay up. William has a bottle of plonk waiting for him when he comes south for The Living Doll's (middle princess) 21st birthday next month & Gabriella (youngest princess) has won a Gold Class ticket to see Harry Potter. We all benefit cos, undoubtably, I will help drink said bottle & will take said daughter to the cinema! LOL.

Happiness & laughter always folks,

Bliss

No comments: