Sunday 25 February 2007

Last weekend of summer

©2006, Sergio Gargiulo


Wow, time has flown! I've been leading a blissful but busy life with lots happening in my world but not much of which has been worth writing home about. Some good news, though, is that my frozen shoulder is finally gaining back a little movement & the pain levels have significantly diminished in the last few weeks. Yee ha!

Weatherwise, it has been a strange Summer. Apart from two super hot days in November, we've had no hot weather at all. The rain has come and gone so the garden is green, the swimming pool full of water & my roses blooming, but sadly, the city's dams are still nowhere near full. Water restrictions prevail & probably will continue so for another few years.

Paul is enjoying the challenges of his not-so-new-job & the kids are well & busy doing their thing. Paul's doing significant travelling again & the offsprings' academic year has begun again. I'm gradually getting used to not being the hands-on mother I was even a year or two ago. The reality is that the 18 to 25 year olds don't want that kind of mother, so I'm going with the flow. Let me tell you that it takes a while to get used to (yet none of my older & wiser female family members have ever mentioned this phase in life).

I'm gradually forging my own pathway. To be honest, having become a mother so young (I was barely 21 years old), it's taking a while to work out what to do with myself now that the acute mothering phase is over. I'm a bit lost but not at all unhappy. I've had a great 12 months working on the house, travelling with Paul & stitching various cross stitching projects that I have wanted to do for so long. I'm also now working on some further studies at uni, but I've still a way to go until I've marked out where to go & what to do with the next 40 years of my life. I like the idea of five year plans. No doubt that with a wee bit more planning, all will be revealed.

In the meantime, let's look at the end of Summer with some poetry found on the net. It's sort of appropriate to think of Autumn at this time (but not yet in terms of my Autumn years - LOL) ...

Summer's End

Goodbye summer, Goodbye summer
Robins migrate, Roses die.
Goodbye summer, Goodbye summer
Colorful leaves fly through the sky.
Goodbye summer, Goodbye summer
And now in the depths of fall we lie.

Erikah Sei

Happiness & laughter always,

Bliss

No comments: